Thursday, May 7, 2009

School Classes

As I have mentioned before, I attend classes at the prestigious public college UCLA Berkeley in Berkeley, California. The classes here are more diverse than in my old school in India. Also, the student population is much more varied because of the mixed Asian, Latino, and Caucasian cultures in California. When I tell others I attend UCLA Berkeley, they recognize the greatness of the school but do not think it is particularly odd for me to attend due to old stereotypes. The stereotypes of a "smart Indian" is based on the fact that 89.4% of Indian males in the U.S. attain higher than high school education which is the highest of any population within the U.S. Although it frustrates me that no one recognizes my hard work in getting where I am, It is still a very common perception of all Asian Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment